I don’t have a lot to say about this book. Just a little.
It’s taking a lot for me to admit this but…
I was wrong. It wasn’t as bad as I remembered reading it. I actually don’t think this was the one that I was like “wtf what am I reading?” and so I went into it with horrible expectations and came out of it with “oh yah that was cool”. Doesn’t mean it was my favorite (it is probably closer to the bottom actually), but it was enjoyable to say the least.
I’m just going to share a few little things here.
01. Isabelle is goals. I don’t care if she is goals for who you strive to be or strive to date or whatever, she is just plan goals. You learn so much about why she is the way she is, and that’s kind of sad, but it just makes you love her more.
02. Simon made his own mess, I don’t care what anyone else says about it. Simon should have told Mia and Isabelle from the BEGINNING what was going on and not just assuming no one thought they were exclusive. You walked into that Simon, get your stuff together man.
03. Maia and Jordan’s conflict is something that I truly enjoyed (does that make me a bad person?) because that’s kind of how that situation would have worked out and it wasn’t kind of an insta-love thing. Like how would you feel about someone giving you this otherworldly “curse” and then running away? Not cool.
04. The Lilith angle was kind of an interesting way to take things. The part of all of them in the church was really epic!!
05. The Lilith in the church scene, Simon and his mother, and Simon, Maia and Isabelle were really the parts that made me not hate this book. There was a lot of emotional turmoil in this and they had depth, which is something I feel Clare lacked in a lot of her books (depth).
Clare kind of dragged this book out. I feel like it could have been a 300 page book. It was written better, and Clary did become a little less annoying. So I would say it was a solid read.
Order to Read this Series:
The Mortal Instruments #01: City of Bones
The Mortal Instruments #02: City of Ashes
The Mortal Instruments #03: City of Glass
The Infernal Devices #01: Clockwork Angel
The Mortal Instruments #04: City of Heavenly Fire
The Infernal Devices #02: Clockwork Prince
The Mortal Instruments #05: City of Lost Souls
The Infernal Devices #03: Clockwork Princess
The Mortal Instruments #06: City of Fallen Angels
*The next two (The Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy) are optional. They are groups of novellas. I believe in reading novellas so you can pick up different things in the books that follow.
The Bane Chronicles #01: What Really Happened in Peru
The Bane Chronicles #02: The Runaway Queen
The Bane Chronicles #03: Vampires, Scones, & Edmund Herondale
The Bane Chronicles #04: The Midnight Heir
The Bane Chronicles #05: The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
The Bane Chronicles #06: Saving Raphael Santiago
The Bane Chronicles #07: The Fall of Hotel Dumort
The Bane Chronicles #08: What to Buy the Shadowhunter…
The Bane Chronicles #09: The Last Stand of the New York Institute
The Bane Chronicles #10: The Course of True Love
The Bane Chronicles #11: The Voicemail of Magnus Bane
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #01: Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #02: The Lost Herondale
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #03: The Whitechapel Fiend
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #04: Nothing but Shadows
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #05: The Evil We Love
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #06: Pale Kings and Princes
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #07: Bitter of Tongue
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #08: The Fiery Trial
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #09: Born to Endless Night
Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #10: Angels Twice Descending
The Dark Artifices #01: Lady Midnight
The Dark Artifices #02: Lord of Shadows
The Dark Artifices #03: Queen of Air and Darkness